8 Things to Consider when Installing Solar Panels
Relying on the sun for energy is a bit more dependable than other energy sources. The sun will always be burning and using its energy can help to save the environment. Many people around the world have begun installing solar panels on their homes to harness this energy and help to provide a more environmentally friendly way of powering their homes. If you are considering solar panels, here are 8 things that you should carefully consider:
- Purchase – You will need to purchase solar panels to install. There are a number of places where you can find good, dependable solar panels. Do a bit of research to ensure that you are getting quality products at a good price. Choose panels that fit your budget as well as your sizing needs.
- Install – Solar panels are typically installed on rooftops. You should ensure that you are mounting the panels in a place where they will receive as much direct sun exposure as possible.
- Sunlight – You need sunlight to run the solar panels. It is recommended that you choose a position that gives you as much direct sunlight as possible, not hindered by trees or other buildings.
- Mounting – Mounting your panels will require solar panel mounts. These come in three ranges which include roof-ground mounts, flush mounts and pole mounts.
- Installation Process – The actual installation process can be a bit complicated, depending on how much you know. Solar panels can be installed if you have basic plumbing skills and the installation process is not nearly as difficult as you may think. You have to ensure that the mounts are situated approximately 48 inches apart. Connect the mounts to a rafter or a block of wood that is positioned on the bottom of the roof.
- Fasten the Panels – Drill holes with a bit to make sure that you are not ripping the rafters. You will need to lock the base of your mounts to your roof by using stainless steel lag bolts. Once this is done, simply thread the post of the mount onto its bottom and fasten metal rails to the mounts with bolts.
- Precautions – You should ensure that your panels are working properly. The completed rack system will allow the solar panels to be at least three to six inches from the top of the roof and the panels will function better if sufficient airflow is allowed around them.
- There are a number of factors that contribute to solar panels working properly. If you live in a region that does not have sufficient sunlight, solar panels may not provide you with an adequate supply of energy. If however you have adequate sunlight throughout the year, you could find yourself saving thousands of dollars over the course of just a few years in energy costs.
This article was written by Enerfina, an independent market intermediary in the renewable energy sector. Visit us to learn more about solar panels today.