photo by badjonni (Flickr Creative Commons)

Yesterday and today BP crews are attempting to securely seal the leak on the blown out oil well in the Gulf of Mexico by pumping in cement.

Operation ‘static kill’ has so far been successful in halting the flow of oil into the Gulf, which began on April 20th with the explosion of the Deepwater Horizon oil platform. The latest effort began with BP crews pumping in special mud to stop the leak and will hopefully conclude – after the cement on top has dried – with the drilling of two relief wells.

The Obama administration recently announced that around 75% of the oil from the spill had been cleaned up, dispersed, disposed of or evaporated, with the remaining 25% posing little additional risk.

But many environmental groups and scientists dispute this claim as overly optimistic.

From a report by the Associated Press:

The good news is people are seeing less oil, but the bad news is the oil trapped in the marshes is moving out with the tides and sticking on the marsh cane. And that could kill it.

–Maura Wood, National Wildlife Foundation oceanographer

Some scientists believe the White House’s statements to be too simplistic and that they are designed to put a positive spin on the BP oil disaster.

From a report in the Guardian

When these reports go through the spin machine they get distorted. If you look closely at this report, it makes it very clear that this is not over.

–Francesca Griffo, senior scientist at the Union of Concerned Scientists

About The Author: Graham Land

Greenfudge editor and London-based writer Graham Land grew up in the suburbs of Washington, DC, where he was part of the local hardcore punk scene, playing in several bands. Through this musical movement he became involved in grass roots interests such as anti-racist activism, animal rights and Ecology. In 2000 he relocated to Europe, eventually earning an MA from Malmö University in Sweden. He has also lived in Japan, Ireland, Portugal and Greece.



FROM OUR DIRECTORY

Your business here?

10:10 Global

Photo of 10:10 Global

EthicalCommunity.com

No Photo Available

UN-Water

No Photo Available

350.org

Photo of 350.org